The Historic Goodman Library displays classic characteristics of the Richardson Romanesque style, having arched windows, a rusticated stone facade, and the weight and massiveness that is reinforced by the depth of the window and door openings. The building's general scale and simplicity in form display the earliest Neo-Classical Beaux Arts elements to be seen in Napa, which in 1901, was a rural community in California.
The architect, Luther M. Turton, practiced in Napa from 1887-1920. Along with desinging this beautiful structure, Turton designed many of the fine Queen Anne Victorian Style homes in the Napa Vicinity.
The existing completeness of the original building right down to the original door hardware. Both the interior and exterior are complete; the only major intrusion are the new lighting fixtures on the interior and the seismic upgrades to protect the buildings occupants. This work is minor compared to what remains of the fine pressed tin ceilings, the original stairway, the original woodwork, and the original librarians desk to name a few historic elements. By preserving both the interior and exterior integrity of this historic structure, the emotional effects are as present today that were sought after in the original design.